Maintaining your oral hygiene is crucial, not only for the beauty but because we all want to keep our teeth healthy. Many people unfortunately experience some form of tooth decay or cavities, maybe even more significant problems such as dental caries. With modern technology, there is barely need worry as there are methods to save the troubled tooth. Dental cavities are usually resolved by engaging a dentist in Singapore to apply tooth fillings on and around the affected tooth.
Dental fillings are used to restore a tooth that has been damaged by decay back to its normal function and shape. In tooth filling, the decayed tooth material is first removed, then the affected area is cleaned, and then a suitable filling material is placed and shaped to form the tooth. Fillings essentially restore the form and shape of a tooth and especially closing off spaces where bacteria can enter. Hence fillers can also help prevent further decay. The cavity is filled with a dental restorative material. And these Fillings materials may be metal or alloys of metals, or non-metal.
For Metal Fillings, examples are gold and amalgam (Amalgam is an alloy of silver, tin, copper, and mercury). While for Non-Metal Fillings, examples are composites, glass ionomers, and porcelain. Tooth coloured fillings are usually composites or glass ionomers. They consist of powdered glass dispersed in a plastic resin. In certain circumstances, composites can be alternatives to amalgam fillings for better aesthetics, and for better bonding.
In general, there are four different types of tooth fillings that are widely available. The tooth-colored (composite) fillings are the most commonly used fillings by dentists in Singapore.
Factors that Affects the Choice of Filling Material
The type of tooth filling that’s most suitable for you depends primarily on these factors:
1. Where the filling is needed
2. How much repair is required for the decay?
3. Your preference for how visible the filling is
Cost of Tooth Filling in Singapore
This costs of tooth filling is an estimated cost per tooth, and it varies for each of the fillings material.
- For Gold Fillings – SGD 700 and above
- Amalgam / Silver Fillings – SGD 60 – 150
- Porcelain / Ceramic Fillings – SGD 250 and above
- Tooth Colored / Composite Fillings – SGD 80 – 160
Importance of Tooth Fillings
Restore healthy tooth functiond
Relieve sensitivity by insulating otherwise exposed inner tooth structure
Restore dental appearance (aesthetics)
Prevent further decay by sealing off space from bacterial entry
Processes for Tooth Filling
The tooth filling treatment process consists of these general steps:
1. A local anesthetic is applied to the tooth that needs filling to numb the area
2. An air abrasion instrument (a drill) is used to remove any existing decayed tooth material
3. After removing all the decayed material, the cavity will be cleaned using a water/air jet
4. Lastly, the tooth is filled with the fillings and polished