In today’s world, whitening of teeth is a prevailing restorative procedure that is non-invasive and produces beautiful very attractive white teeth. When we begin to advance in age, it is logical for our teeth to darken and it is caused when the mineral structures in our teeth starts changing. Darkening of teeth also occurs from smoking, as well as f foods or liquids that have strong colors can have an effect on the total color of our teeth. Teeth may also darken as a result of some drugs.
Laser teeth whitening (power whitening) is one of the best and common way of solving the problem of discolored teeth. It is the use of light, combined with the peroxide bleaching gel to boost the speed and power of tooth whitening. It is a renowned procedure of teeth whitening because it is safe and it won’t cause damage to the patient’s gums or the structure of the tooth. It is now seen as the most effective whitening treatments. It leaves your teeth evidently whiter, sometimes more than 6 shades whiter.
Procedure of Laser Teeth Whitening
The procedure starts with removing of plaque and germs that have great effect in the teeth whitening process. Then, placing a rubber dam inside the mouth of the patient for the protection of the gum. After that, a bleaching gel is applied on the teeth. Then, a laser light is positioned over the teeth and activated which causes the whitening gel to turn to oxygen allowing it to penetrate the teeth discoloration. It takes about one hour and produces an ultra-fast whitening result.
Laser teeth whitening has been known to have a lot of advantages which includes:
1. Aesthetic appeal -laser teeth whitening is now being used to enhance beauty.
2. Safe and painless: It is painless and it’s the safest way of teeth whitening. It doesn’t cause any discomfort so anesthesia is not in consideration.
3. It is more convenient because the dentist does everything for you.
4. Unlike some teeth whitening methods, where have to wait for weeks and even months to see dramatic results, u get instant result.
5. Many clinics offer laser whitening making it accessible in every community.
Laser teeth whitening however some bit of setbacks which come in form of these has:
1. It is more expensive than most whitening treatments. The cost will be a major issue for the treatment.
2. Tooth sensitivity: Some patients may experience teeth sensitivity after the treatment but this is just temporary.
Laser teeth whitening is the most effective way if teeth whitening procedure but it is not recommended for everyone. It is not recommended for people who have receding gums, pregnant women, patients with sensitive teeth, patients below 16 years. It is also good to know that sometimes the teeth appear whiter than expected.
After the laser teeth whitening, the stains might resurface and could require another process of laser whitening. This leads to further expenses. You should also know that the term laser tooth whitening is a misnomer because no laser is used.